Dec 8, 2011

Deer Season - Last Day







I was sitting in my office and saw some does bed down in a fence line and two more head a different direction over a hill in the next valley. I called a friend of mine (also the landowner) and we made a plan. Glad to say it actually worked out for once. We stalked em and got close enough to shoot. I have to admit I got lucky. This buck was running away full sprint up a steep hill at about 150yds. I put my crosshairs two feet in front of the deer and dropped him deader than a stone. When I came up on the deer its brains were hanging out of his skull, a head shot. At least I didnt ruin any meat. My friend was able to shoot a very nice mature doe. Im gonna try the golf ball skinning deer trick with thest two.

7 comments:

TKhunt-n-fish said...

Nice buck Bard. I love it works according to plan!

Weimer said...

Deer golf ball skinning trick did not work, couldn't get the knot around the golf ball tight enough with out it slipping. Didn't take very long to do it the old fassion way.

BC Clubber said...

Way to go cuz- I'm headed out with a boom stick for some doe meat next month.
I'm still bowhunting headgear- but I've determined that the month of December is gods punishment to pickey, antler crazed bowhunters(public land, post rut, after 2 gun seasons)....they just vanish....

Weimer said...

Turns out the golf ball trick didn't work. We skinned em with a good old knife. Whats worse is I was aging the loins and fillets in my cooler outside. My .... dogs got into the cooler while I left the house for like 10 minutes. I almost cried.

10pointer said...

Very cool. 150 Yards, running away, slug? Are you sure.

CRogers said...

Looks like it was a successful final day. I've also tried the golf ball trick and couldn't get it to work properly. I posted about it on My Hunting Games

JCunningham said...

Nice shot! Hey check out these great hunting spots: NY Hunting Land for Sale from Land And Camps