Dec 10, 2009

Big Louie Passes On







It was 9 DEC, 9 degrees, with about 6 inches of fresh snow, and a light? Breeze. I crawled up in my tree stand and put my blanky over me, wondering with all my bulk if I would be able to adequately see behind me. At about 4:00pm, I looked over the creek about 90 yds away, and down from a ridge I saw a deer coming straight down to the creek and headed in my direction. He was in some small saplings, head down, I recognized him as a small 8 pointer I’d seen 10 OCT, not a shooting deer. Up on the ridge behind him I saw another deer moving, and could see with my eye he had horns and they were larger than the 8. I looked thru my glass- and immediately saw a double pointed drop tine- Big Louie shows his face in daylight.! I have photographs of Big Louie- about 4-5, starting 5 Sep in velvet, and a nice shot about 15 NOV I’ve also attached. Big Louie followed the path of the 8 pointer, and they crossed over the creek to me about 50 yds and stopped, looking around. Big Louie looked straight up at me for about a solid minute- I thought I was busted, tried not to breath for fear he’d see my steam, but chose blowing thru my mouth like a whistle to lessen it, also wondering if my fingers retained the dexterity to draw my bow after the exposure. A squirrel danced across the bottom and diverted his attention; he never looked at me again, or any other human being for that matter. The small 8 went over to him and licked his face a few times over and over, then they gently racked their heads, & Big Louie moved out. He went behind a dead branch at about 30 yds, and I drew, he kept walking but away, so I made my best grunt call with my mouth- he stopped, I released- bingo! My SHOT was back a bit(maybe 6 inches) the arrow sticking out of him as he ran away. It was 4:10. The 8 pointer just looked at me for about 2 minutes before running off. I came back about an hour and a half later, Big Louie only made it about 100yds before collapsing. It was nice to know Big Louie- Christian and I mulled over his photographs and dreamed all fall, now it is a reality.

7 comments:

Weimer said...

Nice Buck Kelly. What a story book ending to Big Louie. I think it was I who convinced you to pick up that bow again. Questions I have: Blanket??? Didn't know the wind direction??? Holding the draw 1 minute-are you shooting a crossbow?

BC Clubber said...

Yes, I had my Blanky on, it was 9 degrees at 4PM. Wind direction= its nice to know-- if I had 25 stands, id be selective on where to hunt under winds, I don't- so- I'm more concerned about how cold it makes me. I check where its at, and figure I''ll get winded from the downwind direction, but the deer can come from all the other 359 degrees. In this case- they were actually downwind, must have been my oily/fire smelling grease changing blanket that covered my scent! 1 minute hold- have you seen my guns!

Big O said...

As I told you in person, great buck and a neat story.
Uncle "O"

Anonymous said...

Congrats on an awesome buck! I think it's just great that you have the trail camera pics too. They just always seem to make a good deer story better.

Sudeepta said...

Very nice pics thanks for posting. Have you been to deer hunt.
Hog Hunting

Alfred said...

Wonderful work! That is the kind of info that are supposed to be shared across the web. Shame on Google for not positioning this publish higher! Come on over and visit my web site . Thank you =)
Deer

AdventureFootstep said...

Nice pic. Thanks for Story.
[Jerry]