Nov 2, 2010

Another Des Moines River Walleye


Chellie and I closed the cabin this past weekend, but I had a chance to go to the dam with a buddy and caught this nice 22" walleye along with a couple smaller ones in a little less than an hour. The nice part is people around there and at the bate shop say the fishing is dead there lately, yet I've managed to catch something there every time I've gone out. I actually stopped today to check the cabin over the noon hour and spent about 30 minutes fishing (in my suit!). Two guys were leaving and they said nothing was biting. Undeterred, I went to my honey hole and caught a 16" walleye after about 15 minutes!
I don't know if it's the secret, but I use a 1/8oz jig with a white gulp minnow body and no bait. Everybody I've seen there just reels in slowly. I actually jig it in and always get the hit on the drop. I love fall fishing, but now it's time to concentrate on duck and pheasant hunting. But I do hope to get back to the dam next week over a noon hour again.

No comments: