May 19, 2008

Really Late Season KS Turkey


Shot this nice and soon to be yummy tasting jake this morning. No dekes, no blind, no calling (well maybe a little calling but not at the birds). Hunted last night watched the birds go into the treeline. Came back in the morning and set up against a tree to wait. Now since turkey camp I havent fired my weapon and I must say that I have probably logged at least 70 hours in the bush since then. Turkeys were gobbling everywhere but AGAIN none stepped out into the field. I moved into a bunch of fall downs and and of course fall promptly into nice little nappy. I woke up to find a group of 4 jakes and 2 hens just entering the field about 50 yards to my left. They began to move across the filed and were maybe 45 yards away when desperation got the best of me. I wish I could tell you that I killed him that far away but after I shot the "stupid" birds didnt know what to do. They spread out all over the field and this moron runs about 30 yards to my left. If I have to say I did anything spectacular its that I shot him on a dead run at that distance. I am thinking maybe the good lord was feeling a bit sorry for me this morning.

2 comments:

Tom Sorenson said...

That's great! he'll be a good tastin' bird, no doubt! After a long season, a guy deserves a break now and then! Glad you got yours!

brimelgulk said...

Nice to see you finally got one. I never was able to seal the deal here in Iowa. Went 5 times and only ever saw 1 tom about 300 yards away. He was coming to call real nice and then I saw him stop and breed a hen. I stopped calling.